The island of the castle owes its name to a castle believed to have been built in Verdun-sur-le-Doubs in the 12th century and destroyed in 1478, following the death of Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy. In the 19th century, the island consisted of a garden surrounding the villa and an agricultural park. The garden included an orchard, a formal garden and an Anglo-Chinese garden (with a kiosk). Over time, the vegetation has changed radically. Today, the island is a sensitive natural area, occupied on the northern part by the alluvial forest characteristic of the Val de Saône.